- Candidate Assessment: In collaboration with Charlie Schaefer, PhD: Comprehensive Psychological Testing followed by a Candidate Interview. An assessment report with both placement and support recommendations will be provided to the organization.
- Crisis Assessment and Initiation of Treatment: A detailed assessment of the crisis or concerns will be followed by initial crisis care and specific recommendations for follow-up to the individual and, when appropriate, the organization.
- Intensive Treatment (Outpatient): High frequency counseling (with pharmacological treatment, when appropriate) of up to two weeks (with living accommodations provided by the “Friends of Global Workers Network”)
- Debriefing: Debriefing and processing of their recent term of service, including a focus on any traumatic events or other concerns
- Counseling, psychotherapy, and pharmacotherapy for cross-cultural workers and their children living locally
- Consultations with organizations that are placing staff cross-culturally, regarding such issues as staff concerns, trauma, and crises Trainings, Workshops, Presentations for cross-cultural staff or the leadership of organizations
Those serving cross-culturally who are seeking assessments or intensive treatment may be able to receive free, short-term, local accommodations through the "Friends of Global Workers" network of hosts during that time. Please, contact me directly if you have any questions about this resource (FraukeSchaeferMD@gmail.com).
Dr. Frauke Schaefer’s cross-cultural qualifications include:
- Cross-cultural medical work in Nepal from 1990-1997
- Experience working at Tumaini Counseling Center in Nairobi, Kenya in 2005
- Research projects and training, mostly about trauma, resilience, and delivery of care for global workers
- Consulting Services for Trans World Radio and other organizations that place staff cross-culturally
- Presentations and workshops at international conferences
- Cross-cultural studies at Fuller Theological Seminary
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (Liverpool, UK)
- Frauke C. Schaefer, MD; Charles A. Schaefer, PhD (Editors and Contributors)
Trauma & Resilience: Effectively Supporting Those Who Serve God
Frauke C. Schaefer, MD 1709 Legion Road, Suite 225 Chapel Hill, NC 27517 Tel (919) 357-7204 Fax (919) 929-7648 FraukeSchaeferMD@gmail.com